Thursday, February 25, 2010

Jonty Joint

I made my first ball-and-socket joint that blogger Jonty at Darkside Creations had developed and which I discussed a couple of weeks ago. I call it a "Jonty Joint."

I'm not completely happy with my creation, though that's no reflection on the design. It's just my own skills. In Jonty's video, his two balls are completely smooth (at least they appear that way) so it would probably allow for smoother operation. Mine are a little to bumpy for my liking, so I'll need to smooth them down a little more before joining them together next time.

Jonty recommends using balls about the size of ones you'd find in kids ball rooms. The only ones I could find like that came in a bag of 100 which I figured was a few more than I needed. So I used Wiffle balls instead, even though they're a little larger. However, they seem to be a good size to replicate a shoulder joint and if I can come across some smaller balls (maybe between golf ball size and the one's Jonty recommends) it would be good for an elbow, wrist, or knee.

Otherwise the joint works just like it's advertised. It's a quick project that gives me another dimension in posing my props.

Rich

3 comments:

  1. Try using a 'white pva based glue'. Cut the 'strips' up into 1 inch by 1/2 inch strips. Apply 3/6 layers per 'ball' allow to dry then repeat.

    When cuttng the 'socket joint' cut the ball whist leaving around 1 3rd of the ball intact. Or simply cut out a 2 inch/3 inch disc or cap from one side of the ball. Then cut a 'split' down one side of it so it will pop right over the 'ball joint' Pich the 'socket joint' with some tape so that it is a nice snugg fit over the 'ball joint' then burry that i another 6 layers or so of paper strips.

    INSIDE the 'ball joint' fill with pulp or around 15/20 layers of strips to make it thicker. You HAVE to fill in the inside or the outter ball will not fit the socket ball.

    Your first attemppt looks great as you say you just need to smooth it out more. Otherwise your on target to making a great joint.

    I used the large balls to make it easier to see on camera. You can use glass marbles, golf balls, table tennis balls, any ball that is the size to fit your project really.

    Keep going you WILL get what you need eventually lol.

    I might have to mak you my official video promoter at this rate lol.

    again thankyou or the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jonty. I think my strips were too big and I'd need to fill in the "ball" section of the joint next time. Does that make it harder to put the sharp object through the joint though when feeding the string through?

    I've got a few ping pong balls left over from some eyes I made. I'm going to try using them as maybe that would be a good size for an elbow or wrist.

    What I like about this method is the flexibility it gives you. Of course I could always just use pieces of bent wire to connect the different bones, but to me that always gave the prop a store-bought marionette look to it. This seems more organic, as if it's actually part of the prop itself, which it is.

    Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Screamers you produce.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not realy you can simply 'drill' a small hole through the pulp when fully dry. But then the string is only an extra 'safety' thing in case the joint were to come apart, but thats most unlikely for quite some time if they are made thick enough to begin with.

    Me too on the Troll Screamers. I didn't originally think them up to have the new forms they are going to NOW go with. I think they are going to work out great lol. More later.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */